Common Jawa problems and solutions in Classic Legends motorcycle
Category : Automobile
If you already own a Jawa or planning to buy one then this article is a must-read for you. Today we are explaining common Jawa problems and solutions. Jawa is the Czech motorcycle brand since 1929 which is now relaunched by Classic Legends Pvt Ltd owned by Mahindra Group. Jawa has introduced and launched 3 models in India. The first one is Jawa Standard or you can call classic version, another one is modern retro model Jawa 42 and the third one is single-seater bobber, Perak. After ownership of Jawa 42 for 1 year here I am sharing a few issues customers are facing. So after a lot of introduction let’s move on to the main content explaining some common problems in Jawa motorcycles when you own them for the first time.
Common Jawa problems and solutions
1. Lambda sensor issue problem: One of the common Jawa problems happening in bikes is the lambda sensor or oxygen sensor issue due to which yellow engine malfunction light starts appearing indicating issue. Lambda sensor or oxygen sensor as the name suggests controls the amount of oxygen intake in the internal combustion engine. Failure of a lambda sensor can lead to catalytic converter damage and expensive repairs with long time usage in the same condition. The only solution to this issue is to get your sensor replaced by your dealership free of cost under warranty as soon as possible as it can be hazardous to your engine in the long run.
2. Battery issue problem: The next Jawa problems happening in bikes is battery malfunction. Few of the batches of Jawa motorcycle have battery issues due to which bike either fails to start after a certain period of time or it fails during ride time which is really painful if you are out of quick reach of your home or dealership. Jawa bike completely fails to start under this condition. For this problem, you need to replace your battery under warranty by dealership.
3. Oil leakage issue problem: Another issue customers are facing after purchasing Jawa bikes is the oil leakage problem from the engine head. You can see some dark-colored oil leakage from the engine head gasket. This issue occurs when the head sealing substance in the head gasket gets melted due to high temperature. In this condition engine oil could be leaked in a small amount and could lead damage to the engine if the issue persists for a long time. For the resolution of this issue you need to replace the head gasket and get it sealed again by your dealership.
4. Ground clearance issue problem: Another major issue customers are facing in their Jawa bike is low ground clearance. When new models of Jawa were launched, they were equipped without the main stand and the only side stand provided with early models. But after the addition of the main stand earlier ground clearance of 165 mm has been reduced in bikes. This can be a big issue on India roads where you ride on uneven roads or having potholes. Jawa bike’s main stand can also touch on speed-breakers that are built in an unprofessional manner. To resolve this you either have to slow down your speed on uneven roads and speed-breakers or if you wish, can either remove the main stand for better ground clearance.
5. Heating issue problem: Jawa bikes are equipped with liquid cooling radiators but when you ride in slow speeds or if the engine is in its initial phase of tuning under 1000 to 5000kms. Bike’s engine heats a lot and the radiator starts its work when the temperature reaches around 98 F. Due to airflow of heated air near thighs you can experience a lot of heat in the initial phase. This issue mostly gets resolved when the bike is serviced after 1000kms.
6. Rusting issue problem: Few customers have experienced rusting in various parts like rims, screws and exhausts. If the bike is continuously run with the contact of water and not cleaned properly can lead to rusting. As you aware Jawa bike contains a lot of metal parts and chrome and if it is not maintained properly can easily attract rust. You must clean your bike periodically to avoid this situation or you can also use WD 40 solution to clean metal parts.
7. Seat comfort issue problem: The stock seat of Jawa has been designed in such a way that one can easily start feeling uncomfortable after a 50km ride. The stock seat provides very little comfort in the long rides. This situation becomes really painful if you are on a long ride or road trip. The stock seat also doesn’t allow two persons to sit comfortably. To resolve this problem you can either replace your stock seat with a custom seat with a completely different riding stance or get it modified with soft cushion or cover.
8. Vibration issue problem: When you ride Jawa motorcycle at a speed above 90-100 kmph, the rider starts feeling few vibrations on footpegs and handlebar. Mirrors also start vibrating and you can’t see anything behind. This situation is quite natural for a 300cc bike. There is no proper solution to this issue but you can ride at a comfortable cruising speed of 70-80 kmph to avoid unbearable vibrations.
9. Fuel Sensor issue problem: Another Jawa problems customers are facing in Jawa bikes is its incorrect fuel readings or fuel sensor issue due to which customer is unable to identify exact fuel remaining in the bike. The low fuel indicator starts glowing randomly even if there is enough fuel in the bike. The only solution to understand the proper fuel level in your bike is to start your bike when its on the main stand or upright position.
10. Low mileage issue problem: The Jawa bikes are also getting complaints of low fuel average. The company has claimed an average of 37.5 kmpl but in reality customers are getting very low average. The engine of Jawa has been tuned in such a way that when you are riding in city traffic in first gear and turns it into two, but due to high traffic you suddenly deaccelerates and you had to again change gear to first. This pattern leads to keep changing gears from first and two and it feels really hard to your wrist. If you don’t keep your speed according to your gear, it directly impacts fuel efficiency. The only solution to get good average is to ride bike in according to the perfect combination of gear and speed.
11. Meter fogging issue problem: One of the unique problems faced by Jawa customers is fogging in console meter. After riding in the rain or a wash at the service center, one can experience fogging in the main console. You can find water vapour or moisture after a few hours when bike gets in contact with water. The company couldn’t find any exact solution for the same and currently replacing meters with the same issue under warranty.
Hope your most of common Jawa problems have been addressed here with solutions, if you have any question or suggestion regarding same, you can comment below.