Here we are explaining how to recover data from corrupted hard disk, USB drive or smartphone memory card. Nothing can be the worst dream to any tech gadget lover when your smart device suddenly stops accessing your precious data. It starts throwing random error messages like ‘Unable to access device storage’ or “A disk read error occurred”. With the help of following free tools and softwares available online, you can get your data recovered back in a readable form. Chances of data recovery depend on the level of damage to the storage device. Software level data recovery is possible even at your home if the device is in detection state. In the case of physically damaged, storage device to be sent for specific Data recovery specialist labs.
You can recover data from harddisk, memory cards, USB drives, internal device memory.
1. Recover deleted files from hard drive and PCs, laptops or lost and formatted partitions.
2. Memory card recovery: Restore lost data from damaged or corrupted memory cards of smartphones or digital camera.
3. USB drive recovery: Rescue data loss on USB drive, flash drive, pen drive due to accidental deletion or virus attack.
4. Recover lost data from devices like digital camera, mobile phones, iPod, music and video players.
Recover data from corrupted hard disk or smartphone memory card.
First of all, you have to take few precautions before you start proceeding for data recovery.
1. Don’t ever try to re-use or re-install corrupted storage media on the same device. In the case of computer, just power it off and unplug it. In the case of smartphone, just remove the memory card from your phone.
2. Identify the actual damage whether it’s related to hardware or software. Check whether your storage media has any sign of physical damage like scratches, power burn or malfunction sound. You can run diagnose from BIOS if it’s a case of computer. Note down error message and search same over internet, you can get a clue about failure. In case of memory cards there may be chances that your storage device is older or beyond its actual life span. Mishandling can also be the cause of failure.
3. Always perform data recovery task on secondary hardware, means connecting your affected memory storage to another secondary device with enough storage. This will make sure that you don’t cause further damage to your storage.
4. Keep in mind, if you have really critical data then never ever perform DIY because this can lead to more damage further. If it’s a physical hardware failure then you need to consult Data recovery specialist. We are considering that your storage media is in the unreadable state which can be repaired further to get in the readable state.
5. Considering software tool for recovery depends over your data criticality. If it’s possible to purchase Pro version of a software then you should first give a try to its trial version. It will provide you with the status of your readable data as trial version limits lot of functionality and will let you recover few portion of whole data.
Recover data by following steps
Actual steps will differ from software to software according to its interface, we are explaining here common methods involved.
1. Connect your affected hard disk to a secondary computer with proper power and connectivity cables.
2. Check whether your affected disk is shown in ‘My Computer’. If it’s not showing then you need to open computer management by running command compmgmt.msc in ‘Run ‘ dialog box. Move ahead to ‘Disk Management’ and check whether your affected disk is showing. You may also need to assign drive letter to the partition. If the computer becomes non-responsive, chances are there your disk is in critical condition.
3. Install one of Data recovery software to your secondary computer as per compatibility. Most of the softwares start with asking you to select affected area, means you need to select that partition. Few Softwares asks you to specify a particular type of file or you can provide extensions. You may also get the option to perform a normal scan or a Deep scan. Deep scan feature will take much more time but will give you best results. Suggest you to run a normal scan first as this will take less time in scanning whole drive and might give you results in the first try.
4. Deep scan is suggested if you have patience and want exact results about a particular format. If your storage media has been re-written again by further files then this option comes as a rescue.
5. Don’t use computer while system is under scan, it can either make computer unresponsive or can break scanning process.
6. After successful completion, you will be provided to view preview of scanned files and their health status. It shows the status of files that can be reused.
7. Choose your required files and save them to secondary disk of a computer which you are using. Never ever save files over same affected disk as this process will rewrite data back again on disk.
8. You can also re-perform scanning process if you are not satisfied with results or can give try to another recovery software.
9. If you are familiar with DOS based commands, you can also utilise few recovery Softwares which run in DOS based environment without any booting of the Operating system. Only try this method if you are familiar with the command based environment.
10. Recovered files might be with different names or extensions, so you need to sort them out as per your requirement.
Use Ubuntu Linux OS for data recovery
You can also use live Linux OS such as Ubuntu to recover data. In most of software or virus related issue, Ubuntu OS comes as a rescue. Just connect your affected disk to Ubuntu OS and you can check your disk status through ‘Disks’ management. It automatically mounts your partition and recovers your data affected by virus, bugs or OS file system.
You can refer following link to know success rate and process of all paid/ freeware data recovery softwares – https://www.softwarehow.com/free-data-recovery-tools/
Top Free Data Recovery Softwares available online
1. Stellar Data Recovery: https://www.stellarinfo.com/free-data-recovery.php
2. Recuva: http://www.piriform.com/recuva/builds
3. EaseUS Data Recovery: https://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/free-data-recovery-software.htm
4. PC Inspector File Recovery: http://www.pcinspector.de/Default.htm?language=1
Other Paid/Freeware Softwares for Data Recovery
Comment your questions and feedback below.